Giza Governorate yesterday took wide action to remove buildings allegedly not conforming to the Unified Building Law. The initiative covered four districts on the same day: Omraniya, Haram, southern Giza and Bulaq el-Dakrour. Fourteen "illegal" buildings were taken down.
Abdel Halim Abdel Khaleq, secretary to Giza’s governor and chairman of the committee for demolitions, said some 1500 orders to take down floors in about 900 properties had been enforced during the campaign which began a year and half ago.
Two 11-storey buildings in Ahmed Helmy Street, off el-Kordi street, and Hussein Abul Fadl Street in Khatam el-Morsalin were pulled down, according to Yahy Shehata, head of el-Omraniya district.
Bulaq district chief Emad Adam said an illegal seven-story building on Mohamed Abdel Khaleq Street in the el-Maleka area, which had been erected without permission, had been taken down. The total number of demolition orders in the district during October was 40.
The campaign also covered Haram district, affecting five properties in the Hadabet el-Haram area where stories of buildings erected without permission and in violation of the law were fully removed, the head of Haram district Ashraf Shalash informed. According to Shalash, in October 18 separate actions were launched to implement 139 orders to remove 48 illegal properties.
Head of south Giza district Ali Gammal said that six properties were demolished in the streets of el-Bahr el-Azam, el-Sanadili, Ibrahim el-Dessouqi in the Munib area, Shaaban Abdel Aleem and Awlad Zayed, where building had taken place without permission.
Translated from the Arabic Edition.